Confessing Faith and Promising Faithfulness: RENEW – The Covenant of Church and Minister
From Alan’s induction service in October 2015
Today we stand with each other, recognising the Christ in our midst, affirming our faith in the God who loves us with a love that transforms us, and who calls us to work for a transformed world.
Today we stand with each other, recognising the Christ in each other, affirming the calling of the Spirit who has brought us together this day.
Today I bring myself and the gifts I have, and I covenant to serve and encourage this church and the wider community of which we are a part: to respect and care for you, to journey with you, to take responsibility among you, to seek God with you, to listen to God in you, and to work with you to be Christ in this world.
Today we bring ourselves and the gifts we have, and we covenant to serve and encourage this church and community: to respect and to care for each other, to take responsibility for the people we are and the people we hope to be in Christ, and to encourage you as our minister as we make this journey together.
What kind of people does Christ call us to be?
- We are called to be a prophetic people, working for justice, resisting violence and challenging the abuse of power.
- We are called to be an inclusive people, pulling down the walls of prejudice and welcoming the stranger.
- We are called to be a sacrificial people, risking uncertainty, becoming vulnerable, and reflecting the generosity of God.
- We are called to be a missionary people, demonstrating in word and action the redeeming love of God in the world.
- We are called to be a worshipping people, seeking and celebrating the God who journeys with us, and open to his Spirit in the whole of life.
God of life, You call us and envision us, we give ourselves today to each other and to You, trusting that as You call us so You covenant to share this journey with us, to nurture and sustain our life together and to guide our paths.
Featured image courtesy of pexels.